Chef Sarthak Kochar
Sarthak was a Kitchen Management trainee at Le Meridien, New Delhi. He is working as Head Chef at Hilton Garden inn, Ras al Khaimah, and holding 9 years of culinary experience in the industry. He always has a passion for cooking and experimenting with new things with ingredients available at home. He became a chef to turn his passion into a profession. Food has always been his first love as he loves to explore the cuisine, dishes and his mom introduced him to new dishes and even helped him to learn
What inspired you to become a chef?
Since childhood, I used to cook food and experiment things in the kitchen, especially when my mother used to go out and I got the opportunity to cook for my elder sister. My Mother was the main reason I moved to this industry, as she always believes in turning your passion into a profession, so I did the same.
What is your favorite cuisine to cook?
I enjoy cooking every cuisine and now I am working in the United Arab Emirates where we cater multi national clientele, makes me learn other interesting cuisine as well. Of course, Indian cuisine is very much close to my heart and I enjoy cooking with different spices at the same time.
When really makes you happy at work?
The aroma of spices, herbs, and stock in the kitchen makes me happy; in short, whenever receive great appreciation from the guest. I remember in 2019, we hosted our very regular guests from Germany and I cooked for them taking care of their preferences and taste. While checking out the hotel, that hug from the old couple made my day or you can say a month.
What have been the key drivers for the success of your journey?
My parents have been the main support in my life. They have supported me throughout my journey but main credit goes to my mother, Mrs. Sunita Kochar.
- She is the one who pushed me for moving out of the city to join the culinary school, supported me at my lowest, and even helped me overcome all the hurdles.
- She supported me to move abroad for my new job in the UAE and see where I am today; Happy and settled.
- Teamwork & healthy relationship amongst the team members
Which is your favorite home-cooked food?
Arbi Masala (colocasia), Rajma chawal, Chole Bhature, etc… I guess whatever my mom cooks (as per my liking)
- Chia, buckwheat tortilla wrap – Stuffed with Quinoa
- Baluchi, The Lalit New Delhi
Awards & Recognition:
- Won Aahar Three-course live cooking competition
- Among seven chefs who created Limca book of the world record by cooking 342.5 kg Bhartha with organic baingan
- Won Bronze Medal in CAI 2014 (Three courses set dinner menu)
- Gulab Jamun with Ice cream
- Sweet Lassi with saffron